BEST Application Checklist
- Students in their 8th grade year who will be advancing to the 9th grade the fall following the BEST Summer Academy are eligible to apply.
- Have an interest in science, technology, engineering, or math
- Recommended that students have a 3.0 cumulative average
- Have successfully completed Pre-Algebra or 8th grade math prior to starting the Summer BEST Academy
- A completed Interest Essay
- It is recommended that students do not miss any days during the program (June 18-June 29th, 2018)
- Parent/Guardian and interested student complete the Student Application form
- Submit a $25 application fee to African American Student Services (Fee is collected after student has been selected as part of the 2018 cohort)
- One letter of recommendation from the student’s science teacher, math teacher or school counselor.
- Submit a copy of student's transcript from 8th grade year.
- Student will write a 200-400-word essay answering the following:
- Explain why you are interested in attending the 2018 African American Student Services Summer BEST Academy.
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- How you think it will help you in the future when you attend college?
- What area in STEM would you like to study and why?
All Application materials must be submitted in person to the coordinator, Devon Williams no later than May 5, 2018 at:
African American Student Services
1130 Mesa Vista Hall MSC06 3820
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Please call (505) 277-5645 for questions or to make an appointment.