BEST Application Checklist
- Students in their 8th grade year who will be advancing to the 9th grade the fall following the BEST Summer Academy are eligible to apply.
- Have an interest in science, technology, engineering, or math
- Recommended that students have a 3.0 cumulative average
- Have successfully completed Pre-Algebra or 8th grade math prior to starting the Summer BEST Academy
- A completed Interest Essay
- It is recommended that students do not miss any days during the program (June 3rd - 14th, 2019)
- Parent/Guardian and interested student complete the Student Application form
- One letter of recommendation from the student’s science teacher, math teacher or school counselor.
- Submit a copy of student's transcript from 8th grade year.
- Student will write a 200-400-word essay answering the following:
- Explain why you are interested in attending the 2019 African American Student Services Summer BEST Academy.
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- How you think it will help you in the future when you attend college?
- What area in STEM would you like to study and why?
All Application materials must be submitted to our office via email, mail, or in-person no later than May 15, 2019 at:
African American Student Services
1130 Mesa Vista Hall MSC06 3820
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Please call (505) 277-5645 for questions or to make an appointment.